I've been working on some Farsight Enclave models, making it the third attempt at a Tau Empire army.
|Finished models?! Unpossible!|
The process translates to basing red areas with Citadel Khorne Red and then getting a nice even coat of Citadel Evil Sunz Scarlet over all the panels. I'm aiming for a flat look, almost cel-shaded. Tau are one of the few model ranges where a flat color look is appropriate.
Anyway, the colors are...
- Red Armor: base entire area with Citadel Khorne Red, layer with Citadel Evil Sunz Scarlet and avoid the panel lines.
- Grey Armor: base entire area with Citadel Mechanicus Standard Grey, layer with Citadel Dawnstone and avoid panel lines.
- Gold: Base with Citadel Retributor Armour. Touch up with thinned black paint into the panel lines as necessary.
- Lenses: Base with Citadel Thousand Sons, layer on with Citadel Ahriman Blue and leave a sliver of the previous color visible the opposite where the highlight would normally be. Put a dot of Citadel Pallid Wych Flesh in as the reflective highlight on the lense.
- White Logo: Carefully layer in Citadel Pallid Wych Flesh.
- Horsey Feet: Layer in Citadel Zandri Dust.
- Tau Skin: Base with Citadel The Fang, layer in Citadel Russ Grey. If you really want, you can do a fine highlight of Citadel Fenrisian Grey over that.
- Lighty Bits: Just put Citadel Moot Green over these. It's a spot color like the lenses, so use it sparingly.
- Structural Bits: Pretty sure I used Citadel Skavenblight Dinge for these things. You can't see them in the photo very well, but the techno-babbly bits on the underside of a drone's disk-top would be this, along with the odd parts of a Crisis Suit.
At first I was throwing Citadel Mephiston Red down as a base, then washing that with a black wash. Then I realize the end result was pretty similar to Khorne Red to begin with. So to save some time and energy, I opted to just put down Khorne Red to begin with.
Hopefully I'll have more done next week.