2019-08-14

Raising the Legion: Week 3

I figure 'Raising the Legion' would be a better title for the series because it has become readily apparent that 12,000 points was only the starting point.

I've decided to make weekly snapshots of my progress tracker.  You can see this week's progress here.  This also helps me get a sense of how fast I'm progressing and the ability to look at how far I've come.  Self-motivation is tricky and this should help!  Currently there's ten (!!!) models on the workbench being painted.

Two blues.
I managed to get the five models I was working on done about halfway through this week.  Mulling things over, I'm going to try painting all those rivets before the Nuln Oil wash to see if that will help with the tiny (but irritating) mistakes I make when dotting those things.  I've also found that the Army Painter Ultramarine spray paint is actually closer to Citadel Calgar Blue instead of Citadel Macragge Blue.  I plan to keep using it until I run out because while it is not a precise shade match, it does reduce the amount of paint I need for adequate coverage.  Eventually I'll just swap over to Citadel Macragge Blue spray (despite the price) to see how well that gets alone with my painting process.

Rivets, sans rivets.
Since there were a few days where it was too warm to get any painting done, I took the time to do assembly/repair work on my Legion Heavy Support and Legion Tactical Support Squads.  I didn't build any new models quite yet, but they are all properly based and equipped with their grenades and bolt pistols.

The plan of attack is currently to finish the first Legion Tactical Squad, then assemble a bunch of the models I have collected the parts for.  This is to break up the monotony of painting the same kinds of models repeatedly.  I admit I have a bit of a problem with feeling bored if the models feel all the same and this is why I have accumulated so many models and armies.

The tricky part is going to be sourcing new holstered bolt pistols and grenades.  I may have to design my own and send out to Shapeways for them.

And now for photos of the finished models.








No comments:

Post a Comment